Thursday, May 21, 2015

Brooklyn's Birth Story

I am a chronic over-planner . . . the opposite of spontaneous.  I know you can't always plan things with the arrival of a baby, but I needed SOME sort of plan this time (Especially with four other kids to think about).  I talked with my doctor and decided to be induced so I could have everything ready when baby girl came.  My mom picked the kids up early on the morning of the 15th so Jason and I could be to the hospital by 8:00.  My doctor felt certain our baby would arrive quickly since this was my fifth baby.  Our little girl had other ideas though . . . It was a LONG day of contractions.  By 6:00 that night I was exhausted!  I had stayed up all night cleaning my house (dumb, I know), and I was just so ready for her to come.  Fortunately, about 15 minutes later I knew it was finally time!  I began to push, and just as her head was starting to crown . . . she turned.  It was beyond painful . . . the most pain I've had with any of my babies.  Two big pushes later, she had arrived and I was so relieved that I sobbed.  She was here, she was perfect, and she was so darn cute!

Because she had turned her head just as she was coming out, our baby girl's face was bruised.  She looked so purple that the nurses had to put a sign in her bed that said, "I'm bruised" so the other nurses wouldn't worry about her coloring.  

Our family went back and forth the entire nine months of my pregnancy trying to agree on a name . . . Kendall or Brooklyn.  By the time we'd arrived at the hospital, we'd decided on Kendall.  We told all the nurses that's what we were going to name her.  But the moment she arrived, Jason looked down at her and said, "She's not a Kendall.  She's a Brooklyn."  I looked at her, and immediately agreed.  She was definitely a Brooklyn . . .

The kids came just after Brooklyn arrived.  They fell in love immediately.  Olivia wanted to be the first sibling to hold her.  She was so happy to finally have her baby sister!

We love you sweet girl, and we're so very blessed to have you in our family!!

No comments: